Mingus View Presbyterian Church. . .
. . . a fellowship of believers proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ through worship, nurture, and striving to exhibit the Kingdom of God to our community and the world.
August 21, 2022
11th Sunday after Pentecost
“Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me
bless his holy name.” Psalm 103:1
You are invited to join us on Sunday for our 10:00 a.m. Worship Service in our sanctuary or with the broadcast on Facebook. The title of Jerry Hammon’s message is “The Gospel; No the Rules” (Luke 13: 10 – 17; Jeremiah 1: 4 – 10). Special music will be provided by Nancy Carlzen on dulcimer. Hymns include “Praise My Soul, the King of Heaven”, “There’s a Wideness in God’s Mercy,” and “My Faith Looks Up to Thee.”
Monday Food Pantry Open, 9 – 11 a.m.
Wednesday Crafternooners, 1:00 p.m.
All are Invited – The Presbytery of Grand Canyon’s Big Event – August 27th! Save the date and join the Mingus View session and others to take part in a “Virtual Retreat” on Saturday, August 27th , from 9 a.m. until 2:30. We will join friends from Trinity Presbyterian and Yarnell Presbyterian in the Trinity sanctuary. Led by Dr. Sean Chow, one of our denominations experts on church revitalization, this retreat will be full of ideas and strategies to get us excited about the future of the church. A sign-up sheet is on the back table, so please let us know if you plan to attend.
The Year of the Bible questions for the Week of August 21st are:
- Proverbs mentions four things that are small but wise. What are they?
- Paul cherished a deep affection for Timothy. How does Paul describe his relationship to him?
Answers next week!!
Answers from last week:
- What psalm does the devil quote in tempting Jesus to throw himself down from the pinnacle of the temple? In tempting Jesus to throw himself down from the pinnacle of the temple, the devil quotes Psalm 91. Matthew 4:6)
- Whom did Paul send to Thessalonica to find out how the church he had founded was faring? Paul sent Timothy to see how the church at Thessalonica was faring. 1 Thessalonians 3:2)
THE YEAR OF THE BIBLE: Readings for August, 2022
Day 21 Proverbs 27, 28/ 1 Thess. 5 Day 22 Proverbs 29, 30/ 2 Thess. 1
Day 23 Proverbs 31/ Psalm 94 Day 24 Ecclesias. 1-3/ 2 Thess. 2
Day 25 Ecclesias. 4, 5/ 1 Thess. 3 Day 26 Ecclesias. 6, 7/ Psalms 95, 96
Day 27 Ecclesias. 8, 9/ 1 Timothy 1 Day 28 Ecclesias. 10, 11/ 1 Timothy 2
Day 29 Ecclesias. 12/ 1 Timothy 3 Day 30 Song of Sol. 1, 2/ Psalms 97, 98
Day 31 Song of Sol. 3, 4/ 1 Tim. 4
21 NO Choir Rehearsal. Worship, 10:00 a.m.
22 Food Pantry Open, 9 – 11 a.m.
24 Crafternooners, 1:00 p.m
27 Big Event, 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. at Trinity Presbyterian Church, Prescott
28 Choir Rehearsal, 9:00 a.m. Worship, 10:00 a.m.
29 Food Pantry Open, 9 – 11 a..m.
31 Crafternooners, 1:00 p.m.
NEW GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES
FOR IN-PERSON WORSHIP
- Please enter through the doors at the top of the ramp.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers have been installed throughout the building. Please use sanitizer after opening the door and before entering the sanctuary.
- Everyone is required to wear a mask. If you don’t have a mask, one will be provided for you.
- Social distancing of a minimum of six feet will be required in the seating in the sanctuary. Couples and family members may put chairs closer together, as long as the six foot requirement around other chairs is maintained.
- Worship bulletins will be placed on each chair. There will be no hymnals or Bibles. You are welcome to bring your own Bible as long as you keep it with your person.
- There will be no singing. Hymns and responses may be used in the service but will be spoken.
- There will be no communion during July and August. If conditions have improved by September, a method of limited-contact communion will be used.
- There will be no passing of offering plates. A plate is located at the back of the sanctuary to receive your gifts.
- Passing of peace will be done in place, without physical contact and walking around, please.
- Fellowship Hour has been suspended. After the service, please leave the sanctuary in an orderly fashion, maintaining social distance.
- The service will continue to be available on-line for those who prefer not to attend worship in person.
THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING! WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU IN WORSHIP SOON!
MINGUS VIEW PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
ALL ARE WELCOME
Our Sunday worship service begins at 10:00 a.m. Following the guidelines of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Book of Order, our weekly worship is planned around five major actions:
- Gathering around the word – a joyous time of song and greeting one another in the name of Christ, as well as preparing our hearts to receive the Word by confessing our sins.
- Proclaiming the word – readings from the Old & New Testaments, special music from our choir or soloists, and a sermon based on the Scripture.
- Responding to the word – we respond to the Good News of God’s word to us through our prayers and offerings.
- The sealing of the word – a benediction and blessings send us out.
- Bearing and following the word into the world – it is now our responsibility to take what we heard and live our lives to God’s glory.
At Mingus View, we celebrate the Sacrament of Communion on the first Sunday of every month. All are welcome to the Lord’s table. Gluten-free bread and plain water are available for those unable to eat the traditional communion food.